Content Marketing as the Key to Successful SEO Strategy
To begin with
Content marketing is a strategic marketing approach focused on creating and distributing useful and relevant content, intended to attract and keep a clearly defined audience. The purpose of content marketing is to modify or improve consumers’ behavior and it is relatively cheap compared to other forms of advertising and loyalty acquisition.
If you want to improve your website's ranking in search engine results, content marketing can help you. All businesses, regardless of their size, want to attract and keep customers. There are many ways of engaging with your potential clients. To maintain and keep a profitable business, you must think about:
- Well-thought customer acquisition, and/or
- Good retention strategies
You can try developing a great referral program, keep an excellent customer service strategy, offer a wide variety of products, and use e-mail marketing to improve your sales. However, recommendation system is what works extremely well in modern era marketing. This applies to product recommendations and content recommendations, as well.
Making free content in order to have it shared on social media which will surely have a positive effect on your SEO is something to think about and focus on. Here is how to do it successfully:
Content marketing and social media
Neil Patel warned us in 2012 that SEO is not what it used to be:
You can’t just pop up an ugly website, throw up mediocre content, build a few links and expect to rank well. These days you actually have to build a good website, write high quality content that solves peoples’ problems, build thousands of links and get thousands of social shares.
He also advises us to try applying the following methods to creating a good content.
- Detailed content – Creating a complex text about the topic related to your area of business is something to focus on. Short blog posts tend to get fewer links than detailed, thorough content. When creating a content, you need to make a draft and clearly set goals. Always write for the audience, not SEO. Your readership will appreciate free and useful content. Creating a detailed content will show that you do not spare time to engage with clients and share your ideas.
- Digestible infographics – Visual content is crucial in SEO-oriented content marketing. If you can make complex data easy to understand in a visual format, you can get millions of visitors to your website. Choosing the right colors and presenting your ideas in the right way is crucial to succeeding in visual marketing. Pay attention to how you present your content. Infographics are shared 3x more than any other piece of visual content. It’s safe to say, making an infographic will boost your share numbers and when used and executed correctly, they can be incredibly powerful tools that help communicate a lot of information really quickly and thoroughly.
- Social profiles – Since 92% internet users regularly visit Social networking web sites for the purpose of learning new information, getting acquainted with latest trends, or just for fun, it’s easy to understand advertising should no longer be done traditionally. This is the future of marketing and engaging with customers. Your customers/readers will share content and incite additional engagement. A key requirement to a successful content marketing strategy is owning powerful social profiles. Make sure you build up your Twitter and Facebook profiles. You’ll need them to spread your content.
- Collect e-mails – Make sure you have e-mail opt-in forms in your sidebar and leverage pop-ups to collect even more e-mails. If you have a solid e-mail list, you can always e-mail it every time you publish a new blog post or content piece. This is an easy way to kick-start the virality process. Make a friendly message, send reminders on a regular basis and DO NOT spam people. Building a list can be a tiring process, but it will surely pay off and you will undoubtedly be satisfied with results. Read additional instructions here.
- Be consistent – If you can’t publish content on a regular basis, no matter how good your content is, it will be tough to get a good ROI out of your content marketing. Make sure you publish content on a regular basis. People will get used to reading your content as you publish it. If you stop publishing it regularly, customers will get confused and they will stop visiting your website for content. If you want to get views and shared fast, do not publish a lot of content at an unpredictable pace. Decide on specific day(s) to publish content and people will learn to expect it every week at the same time.
- Headlines matter – No matter how good your content is, if you can’t write attractive headlines, no one will read your content. Learn how to write good headlines by checking major websites such as BuzzFeed or Moz. Inspiration will surely come.
Word to the wise
Social media is impacting search engine results, and if you want to get more traffic from search engines, you need to:
- Build an active, engaged presence on social networking sites – this shouldn't be too difficult for you. If social media engagement is a ranking factor, you can’t benefit if you are not there. If you haven’t already, now is the time to build profiles on these sites and invest time in connecting with your followers. Even though it might seem naive and unprofessional at first glance, using social media as a means of promoting your content is a great and billable idea.
- Optimize your sites for social media sharing – if your sites are built on WordPress, installing a plugin like Sharebar to enable social sharing is something you have to do. Don’t rely on your users reading good content on your website and then taking the time to navigate to social networks to share it on their own. You have to provide them with the tools necessary to get the job done easily.
- Encourage your readers to share your content – smart marketers know that assuming people will take the action you want without you explicitly telling them to do so is a lost cause. You have to use strong calls to action in your posts, encouraging readers to share your content via social networks if they found it useful. Call to action cannot be pushy. It needs to be polite, but strong. Test a few solutions and you will be able to determine which works best with your target audience.
To sum up
Good content always carries a story that the consumer recognizes and understands, that he/she can use in everyday life. A well-designed content is actively sought by consumers themselves, and then divided further or commented on with like-minded people. The real content helps to potential customers learn and be fully informed, to have fun or be provided with useful advice. For continuously creating and distributing useful content, consumers are returning the purchase and feel loyalty towards the brand. Sharing your content on their social media accounts will ensure good ranking and constant improvement of your SEO status.
Jessica Mayse 12/30/2017 13:56 PM
Lots of good information. The power of social networking plays such an important role. It's how I got here. I started building my blogs and profiles and connecting to others to excite them about products and business I was investigating. I actually had a party and showed them the products. I had so much interest my guests wanted me to help them throw a party and review products and stores that may or may not carry the items around us. They are engaged excited and extremely happy to share good product finds with each other. They also share ways to improve the use of the product or enhance it's productivity in a way that maybe it wasn't originally intended but works! Times have changed how we get together with friends and spend time on conversation. We no longer watch day time programming so much as we are testing trying products and seeking a healthier/easier life style.